Thursday, May 17, 2012

The Mohawk--Again

I really want to get my mohawks smooth and....well, I can't say 'sexy' because with my short legs I look like a frog when doing a mohawk...so I want smooth and not awful. How about that? Good enough goal?

So Coach Cruella eyes my mohawks. All I can say is after my 'bad fall' I've got mohawk PTSD. She's been working on it for a couple of weeks. I don't panic, and I'm more comfortable, but not smooth, not safe.

For my case, Cruella's approach is start in a strong T-position, assume the depth of kneebend to hold the 'basketball' between the legs. Make sure the hips are pointing forward, not turned to the side of the back foot. (Open hips or closed hips? I never can get that straight) Put my weight onto the back foot. Stroke onto an inside edge, hold it, bring the free foot forward to the inside of the arch of the skating foot while going deeper in the knee, then go even deeper in the knee while looking in the direction you're skating towards. Switch feet and simultaneously bring the back arm slightly up, go deep in the new skating knee and keep the chest up.  * And make sure the new free foot is in the 7 o'clock position.

Oh, and there's the not falling part going on too.


Yeah. That last fraction of a Mohawk. Like this

*There may be one too many 'deeper in the knee' in there someplace.

1 comment:

  1. Also struggling with mohawks. I have yet to successfully do one. Aah well, back to practice...

    ReplyDelete