Friday, March 29, 2013

Good Friday Practice

I had a choice today. Do the Stations of the Cross or Tre Ore or go skating this afternoon.

I went skating.
"Go ahead, skate at that light
freestyle session on Good Friday."
But cut me some slack, I just got back from an hour and a half of evening service, so I'm good.

And skating was good today too. It was my 4th hour on ice since I started skating again since the injury, and skills are rapidly getting back to where they were in October.  It also gave me the opportunity to pull out all the stops in my "Learn to Skate" repertoire.

First, I armored up: Pad in the Hat, Wrist Guards, Knee Pads. And I warmed up. Then I did some alternating crossovers. And when I got to the part where I was relearning backward stroking (again!), I applied The Five Minute Rule. I paid particular attention to pre-positioning the blade on my stroking and crossovers, and my skating smoothed out.  I don't just write this stuff, I live it.

So, much, much better than last week. I hope Madam Mim appreciates my progress.  Except, if she's like every other coach I've had, it will be,

Madam Mim says, "Stop you're doin' it wrong!"
Yep, story of my life.


No comments:

Post a Comment