Monday, September 3, 2012

The Five Minute Rule

I didn't read this in any book, or hear it from any coach. It's just common sense.

We all know practice is necessary to advance. But if you're like me you kind of 'ignore' practicing or working on skills that aren't fun. Or you do a few, then go off and work on fun skills. I can work on progressives, FO3, dance patterns, even backward stroking all day, but deliberately work on my weak side mohawks? Uh-uh.
I need discipline. . . to get myself to practice   
So I needed a way to make myself do stuff that wasn't 'fun stuff'. I invented the rule that I had to practice my 'un-fun skills' for five minutes straight. No breaking away to stroke around, no chatting, no resting.

I had on my iPhone one of those yoga meditation timers. It allows me to set multiple sequences of 5 minutes followed by a chime.  So, beginning of the session I decide what 3 or 4 things I'm going to work on, then I get on the ice and warm up. When I'm ready, I turn on the timer and start on the first skill. When the chime goes, I switch to the second. Then the third. I don't go past 3.

Does it work? Yes it does. Even if the skill is scary, I keep after it even if I need to stay near the boards. Doing this helped me work out my fear of CCW mohawks. There's lots of work left, but I no longer freeze.

I do this off ice too. I'm working on my glider disc to strengthen my kneebend, balance and  upper body position for the ever friggin' evil FI3. When I started, I was a flailer. Now I'm stronger and the flailing only occasionally happens. But boring though it is, I stick at it for five minutes.

Would this work with jumps and spins. I assume so, but it might be too stressful as most people don't switch legs.

The nice thing about a timer on your smart phone is that if a Chatty Cathy interrupts you, you can pause it then start it up again when they leave. And seeing you click off the phone, might actually get the Chatty Cathy to leave early!

9 comments:

  1. The rule I make myself follow is that I have to do the skill on my weak side twice for every once that I do it on my strong side. For things like jumps and spins, that only have one side, I pick the least favorite jump/spin or two of the day, and that one gets double practice compared to the other(s). That helps. But I think your five minute rule would be really good too. Thanks! Now I'll start incorporating that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Using the timer also reminds me to move to another circle or spot so I'm not hogging the ice.

      Delete
  2. My first priority is actually making a list of the weak elements I need to work on. I deliberately forget about most of them on the ice...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ouch-I think I might have to work up to this one. I do my own rule of must do the skill 10 times but that wouldn't always be 5 minutes worth.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh and I think the biggest problem with doing this for spins if it was me would be that I get dizzy and so I would either have overcome my dizziness or the spins would be a big old mess at the end of 5 minutes. Currently I do a spin, skate around one do another spin, etc. Or I jump up and down on the ice which helps for some reason. Looks ridiculous but helps.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I don't time myself but I do keep track of how many times I'll do and element, for example "my goal today is 5 good axels" it will take me more than five tries but I won't be tied to my Iphone that way.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We're at completely different skill levels. What works for me at my level, obviously wouldn't interest you.

      Delete
  6. I practice my weakest and/or least favorite element during the last 30 minutes of the session. It is my personal rule. I like to do my weak elements on tired legs for the training benefit. Like "Mommytime" above, the weaker side gets twice the practice within that half-hour.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm at the same level as Lori and I still read your blog because even though we're on different levels, a lot of the same principles apply. Everyone needs to practice their weak skills, whether that happens to be forward crossovers or a quad toe. And everybody needs to stand up straight. :-)

    ReplyDelete