Monday, April 21, 2014

Power Pulls Again!

 I feel like tearing one off.
Rant begins
 For some reason there are no decent videos of power pulls on YouTube. Even the Silver Adult Moves video put up by USFSA is a typical underwhelming USFSA video. It's got a woman wearing heavy sweat pants so you really can't see the knee action doing power pulls, and videoed from a stationary position at the boards. I mean, you spare no expense //sarc// do you USFSA? What? 30 minutes total effort into it, including the power point slides at the beginning, and grab the first person you see on ice for the demo? Then don't even follow them down the ice with the camera, but just plonk it in one place? Is that what my membership fees is going for?
Well, maybe I am...a little.
Moving on.

Usually when I have an element problem, I look at videos. As far as I'm concerned youTube is figure skating central. As I've said,  no one's done a useful video of power pulls. So, I'm on my own.

Sunday I gave it a try. Slalom (shalom slalom!) lift the free foot, keep  upper body stable, upsie-downsie-footsie-rightsie-leftsie for all I'm worth. My foot wiggles like a snake.
I make it halfway down the long boards. I've got a great wiggle.There's no rip of the edge pull, no sense of power, but I keep going until I peter out. Better than Saturday!


5 comments:

  1. Geremi Weiss' video might help:

    http://www.monkeysee.com/play/1476-ice-hockey-skate-one-foot-skiing-drill-forwards-and-backwards

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am no expert at power pulls (I am learning them now myself!!!) but what helps me are the arms to aid switch of edge. They are slalom arms applied to power pulls. I didn't have arms correct when I learned slalom so I have to think hard to position them for power pulls. When it's time to switch edge and you bend your leg switch arms too: synchronously bend and switch arms which should be out side of a circle(half-circle really) that you are leaning into. I think that's what happens...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can do the forward edge pull fairly well on my right leg but the left side is weak. Back edge pulls are a joke. Oddly enough, I can do back cross rolls, so maybe there's hope for back edge pulls some day.

    ReplyDelete
  4. the best video that I've seen is the psa demonstration video.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I was once told to point the free foot where you want to go.

    ReplyDelete