Saturday, March 26, 2016

Dealing With My Problem Foot

My problem child is my right FI Mohawk.

My coach and I have spent the last two lessons working on it. We both know what's wrong with it; I can't externally rotate my left free leg so that I bring the heel of the left foot to the arch of right foot without falling backwards on my skating foot.

And why has this simple element been such a problem? You're not going to believe this, but I have misaligned hips and I'm in the sport where good hip alignment is necessary. This reminds me of when I used to fly airplanes (SEL) until some flight surgeon told me I have no depth perception.  Really? Is there any sport I can be any good at?

So we've developed a way to resolve the regular  RFI Mohawk. I have to hold my free leg in line behind the skating foot: then as I bring the free foot forward, there's this two to three inch space where I can externally rotate that free foot and execute a half decent mohawk.

If I miss that 2-3 inch space where I should rotate my left foot--all hell breaks loose.

But now that I've made so much progress on my bad side regular mohawks,  my coach, Miss Bianca has decided to make me do swing mohawks--on my bad side....







3 comments:

  1. I feel your frustration. RFI Mohawks (both normal and swing) as well as LFO 3-turns are foundation skills that no amount of "fixing" seems to ever fix. It's a real hold up...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My LFI MO is holding me back, too—been trying to nail it for months and months. Sympathies and empathy to you both!

      Delete
  2. My sympathies on being part of the "misaligned" skaters club! At least it sounds like your coach is aware of this early, which is good. Once you figure out the underlying alignment issues, it is much easier to figure out what to do!

    ReplyDelete