Friday, October 10, 2014

The Four Stages of Edge Pushes

In my experience I think there are four stages of learning of edge pushes (AKA power pulls).

Stage One

You wiggle like a snake on its belly. There's no real edges. Every one starts here.



Stage Two

You occasionally get one good pull with decent edges, but mostly, it's a crap shoot.
Yeah, mixed metaphor here.

Stage Three

You're mostly have  good pulls, but you really can't control them well, so when you lose it you lose it bad.

Stage 4
You're the DIVA OF EDGE PUSHES!
Two Snaps! Baby!


I'm at Stage 2. Still.


3 comments:

  1. I'm at stage 3 on the right leg, stage 2 on the left (I'm talkin' forward edge pulls here; back pulls are a distance goal, a thing dimly precived).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Backward edge pulls are easier (in my humble opinion) than forward ones. Right now, after what feels like an eternity, I'm at stage 4 99.99% of the time. Keep at it; it will come suddenly and you'll wonder why you had a problem with them in the first place.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So right! I went from 1 through 3, but the effects of the Stage 3 falls plus new blades have put me back to 1 for longer than the entire previous journey. I also agree that backwards is easier; I feel like I have a decent ripping sound with those but of course my coach wants them to be "edgier."

    ReplyDelete