Sunday, October 5, 2014

3 Pairs of Boots in 3 Months!

For reasons I won't bore you with, I've skated in three different pairs of boots in 3 months. Man, it's  a constant readjustment of foot position, tying routine, padding, insole trimming, boot cutting, and blade swapping. I get used to one pair and switch to another.  I've got confused feet!
Creepy? No?
I've finally got the old pair of boots I regenerated from 2009 properly superfitted. I'm zipping along backwards in a sedate little old lady way, and my feet have stopped burning. The boots are a dream to skate in, but really, they look like crap. I even have a piece of moleskin over one spot where I drilled a hole in a boot toe. After a couple of public sessions, they fit like a glove though!

I've got this whole fitting my skates thing down to such a science now, that when I get on the ice and some bouncy music starts playing, I feel like a dance break.


Yes, a dance break even in lesson! Miss Bianca hates it though. She's all business. And sadly she doesn't want to work on things I've been practicing on while I superfit my boots.  Back crossovers are the best way to break in new boots and get used to my rocker position.  My back crossovers are just where she wants them and now she doesn't want to see them. So here's the question: HOW DO COACHES KNOW WHAT YOU HAVEN'T BEEN PRACTICING?


So this week Miss Bianca wants me to do Mohawk variations. Drop - switch foot mohawks, mohawk/turn forwards around the circle,  Fix that weird arm position habit mohawks, ...whatever.


I don't want to work on mohawks. I want to work on bunny hops, side toe hops, two foot spins, even back progressives. Things where I can get praise points. But, nooooo. Mohawks.

Well, set up my arm position, turn and then all hell breaks loose.

Feels like...
I swear, this week I'm working on mohawks...then of course, she'll want to see something else!

I can hear her evil laugh even now......far, far in the distance...




No comments:

Post a Comment