Saturday, February 22, 2014

Encroaching! During Group Lessons

I was at ice dance group lessons this week and it was festival of "encroaching". Encroaching happens when multiple coaches are conducting group classes in a small space and some can't stay inside their assigned area.

Imagine this, here's the ice dance class, skating the width of the rink. Coach has us doing rolls, swing roll, edge changes, whatever. It was all big sweepy moves.
   
Here's the ice dance group class
Then the Basic 2 class on one side, and the hockey learn to play class on the other, kept ENCROACHING into our area! They couldn't stop, and some of them had hockey sticks (and couldn't stop).

Our coach asked the other coaches to keep their class in their assigned area. She even drew a line on the ice. Did it do any good? No.

What I thought:

What I wanted to do:
"Stay out of my space! Okay!"
Well, I didn't say anything, but I scared a couple of people by skating close to them when I was in a pattern and they skated right in front of me. I paid for lessons, and if someone crosses into my space, tough beans! (honestly, I'm waiting for someone to say something to me about it, at which point I'll give them a piece of my mind.)

2 comments:

  1. Guilty as charged. I am an ice hog, lol. I worked at a rink whose Skating Director was vigilant about keeping groups in their assigned ice slots. It took 20 minutes to set up the cones for the classes. I think that inspired my rebellious "share the ice" mentality. Can't we all just get along? I do you see your point in this situation, however.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, I'm all for sharing. But they weren't. They just spread out until we had no place to skate.

      Delete