Saturday, September 29, 2012

Mohawks---At Speed

Mohawks at speed. I has 'em.

And, yet Coach Cruella feels they are not perfect.

And I'm not toepick dragging or anything.

When, oh Lord, do I finally make a coach happy?

Anyone else have the problem with fast mohawks where you put the free foot down toepick first and just ever so slightly drag the toepick before the switch between skating foot and free foot? You'll recognize it if you have it. When you look down at your tracings you'll have a little flag at the beginning of the back edge.

Anyway, I don't do that anymore. I do something wierder.

I ever so gently put the free foot down so it just grazes the ice. Now when I do a mohawk there's a big smoosh of a flag....but hey it's a mohawk at speed! And with a good exit, extension, and upper body.

I wasn't even conscious of this, the touch of the blade was so light. 

So now I have to break another bad mohawk habit.

Fortunately, a few minutes work and it's pretty much gone until the next time I do mohawks. Then I'm sure I'll do something else wrong...



1 comment:

  1. I'm not quite at Mohawks off the board yet, but my outing yesterday was plain AWFUL! My coach was trying to get me coordinated with outside edges and the arm movements in serpentines. Then we switched to FO3 turns. Wow! I was so confused afterwards I had to go lie down later. I'm relieved she didn't ask me to chew gum at the same time. :)

    ReplyDelete