Monday, February 20, 2017

Magical Back Edges

My Coach, Miss Bianca, said "Show me your back outside edges."

So, I laid down a complete set of back edges right through a group of girls doing spins and half jumps, without even thinking about it.

Miss Bianca wanted to fiddle with my arm positions, and my power. We went across the ice, three or four times. Nice solid back edges, with the coach standing some distance away; no glove of shame, no supportive hand; just me and the ice.

I looked at Miss Bianca. We haven't done these in months. I haven't practiced these. These have not even crossed my mind. The ice has been way too crowded to practice anything going backwards.

They.just.appeared.

Although, I'd like to feel like magic can happen, it's really unlikely.

So what happened? Well, I think my lap skating a mile before I started skating has significantly built up the strength in my legs, core and hips. (I've had other skills that improved too) Also, I finally got to the point where I can lace my boots to the top, which gives me extra support when I skate backwards.  Good ankle support, a tech pointed out to me some years ago, is essential to skating backwards.

Miss Bianca didn't anything about my miraculous improvement in back edges.

"You know, a month ago, I couldn't do these," I said.

"Oh, yes?" Maybe she has so many students she's forgotten I've had historical problems with these. "They were nice. Want to work on your inside ones?"

Now that's a coach for you! Minimal praise, always be moving forward!










No comments:

Post a Comment