Saturday, September 17, 2016

Ice Tourists are Coming!

Labor Day weekend, the horde of ice tourists showed up right at the beginning of Public. In the summer, they don't show up until an hour after public starts, but since Labor Day they've been clustering at the ticket desk 15 minutes before the hockey game is over. I just stick my hand in the air as I pass behind the crowd and wave my Club Pass. The day manager motions me on, so I don't have to stand in line.

I mean, what is it? Is there a rule like no white shoes after Labor Day? "No ice skating until after Labor Day." Then magically every parent and their slack jawed pre-teen hockey boys who thinks it's okay to skate directly at old people and dust them with ice from a hockey stop appears on the ice, right after Public starts.
Well, it's not like the Good Ol' Days was much better. Back in the 19th century when skaters went out on pond ice, it was uncontrolled, there were no rink guards, and you could always depend on at least one person a year drowning. So count your blessings.
And don't forget the dogs---they leave little gifts
Well, now I've got that out of my system...

December will be unskateable....



 

No comments:

Post a Comment