Tuesday, February 12, 2013

Back On The ICE Approval

So the surgeon approved me to go back on the ice--gently--and build up my leg strength. I was clutching my copy of this month's Skating magazine in my clammy little hand when I asked. He tilted his head to see the picture on the cover, and I think that was the first time he understood I meant "ice" skating. But, he said, "Sure."

Now since I haven't really skated for more than 30 minutes since this started, I've completely lost all memory of every freestyle session within an 80 mile radius. I mean it's a blank. I used to know every rink's schedule, and now I know nothing.
OMG, I feel so empty....

One of the things that came out of this whole kerfuffle (TM applied for) is that the doctor uncovered my right leg is much weaker than my left.  I now have to see a physical therapist to muscle up one leg. Maybe this explains my handedness issue and inability to do things in the clockwise direction and my total failure to do two foot snow plow stops; it's not just the 'handedness' thing. So, it's not me! Well, it IS me. Darn it. Just a different part of me.
What happens when you have one bad leg....
My dream though is to get a doctor to write me a "Letter of Medical Necessity" so I can use skating as an approved rehabilitative exercise. Then I can get reimbursement from my health savings account for ice time and be able to use my 40 years of accumulated sick leave to skate (for rehabilitation). That would be sweet.  But, haven't had that happen yet.

However, since the furlough thing looks like it's going to go ahead, I'll probably have plenty of free time to skate and build up that bad leg. Trying to be positive here. 
Yeah, whatever.


6 comments:

  1. Yay!

    Back on the ice - super yippee!

    Hope it all goes well for you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad to hear that you're getting sorted out. Yes, I'm also waiting for the sequestration thing to kick in. It'll be the sad old story: when I have the time I don't have the money and vice versa...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy to hear that you're able to get back on the ice!

    ReplyDelete
  4. So glad to hear you're getting back on the ice! Do it carefully and do it safely. I think we all want you back for good. Good health to you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Imagine... he might've been under the impression that you were popping ollies on the board.

    ReplyDelete