Thursday, July 5, 2012

Take Care of Your Feet

I'm lucky enough that I don't have really bad feet. I have a hockey coach podiatrist, so for those rare occasions when I have to see a podiatrist, I have one who skates.
Lucked out there.

What does he emphasize for daily foot care?

Moisturizing my feet.
Happy Feet!
The best time to do this is right after a shower or bath. As for product, I've not had good luck with stuff squeezed out of a tube. Too thin. Moisturizers work by blocking water from evaporating from the skin. For my feet I don't want something that wears off in a heartbeat; I want something that will stay on my feet.

I've found Burt Bees Almond Milk Beeswax Hand Cream to be excellent. I also use a Bee Bar from Honey-House (online only). In third place is Bag Balm. The first two of these have just the right stickiness to stay on the feet long enough to do some good. The last is not perfect, but good in a pinch (mostly because of the smell).

As for trimming calluses and keeping my toenails trimmed I've found that an industrial strength cuticle trimmer does double duty. It takes a bit of time, but I've got perfect control of whatever I'm trimming. Like most old ladies I have toenails that could be used as construction material, regular toenail clippers are pretty useless. Cuticle trimmers allow me to put more power on the nail I'm cutting and precisely cut even small calluses.

A nice pumice stone is also useful for occasional use during a shower or bath.

When I'm skating I like to put some regular moisturizer on my feet and hands. Here I use whatever I buy in a tube from the dollar store. I think this keeps my stockings from sticking to my feet, and the moisturizer does keep my hands feeling nice.

This moisturizing, trimming, and pumiceing  prevents problems like impacted sweat glands. It's one of those things that is just part of good health habits.


It pays to take care of your paws--er--feet.

No comments:

Post a Comment