Sunday, May 18, 2014

I'm not Stalking You --- Really!

Ever have one of those days on freestyle where no matter what you do, you keep getting in the way of another skater? And it's always the SAME skater.

For the first hour of freestyle the other day, through some coincidence of timing, no matter what I did I kept getting in the way of a skater every time she was ready to jump. After the first near miss, I kept my eye out for her and did everything I could to avoid her. But inevitably I would end up right in her way every time she jumped.

I've seen skaters ranting about this on skatingforums.  It follows a distinct pattern.

First go round.

ME  (EMBARRASSED)
I apologize awkwardly



HER

The other skater gives me the eye

Second go round.
 ME


HER

Inside her head the other skater thinks I'm doing it on purpose

Third go round.

 WHAT I WANT TO SAY
I'm even more profusely apologizing

SHE THINKS



Fourth go round....
I don't even dare look her in the eye!


HER (INTERIORLY)
The look I get from the other skater gives me this is what she's feeling
Then, when I explain this to my coach:


1 comment:

  1. I once skated a session with two other skaters on the ice. They were both Senior level, so in a blink of an eye, they were at the other end of the rink. I did my best to try to stay out of their way, but it didn't quite work. I felt a bit better when I noticed that they got in one another's way too. Sometimes, no matter how hard you try, crap happens.

    ReplyDelete