Friday, March 17, 2023

What corner can I skate in?

 I'm back taking lessons, after the horrible 2023 winter, and multi-month closure of the rink for repairs, and I realize that have forgotten many  of the rink etiquette rules. Now I realize that I've forgotten which corners I can skate in without someone jumping into me. 

So I skate up to one of our adult male skaters , he who I know has a lutz and so must know the rules. So I confess, "It's been 3 years since I've been on ice regularly, and I've forgotten the lutz corner rule here. Which ones are clear to skate on?"

I saw him give me a big happy grin.I have a blog I write about rink etiquette and he read it when it was pre-covid, so I assume he's amused at my failure to remember. I'm okay that I'm so funny that I made someone so happy at the near end of the session

 He's really enjoying himself. 

The laugh gets even bigger.


"So, what's so funny?" I asked. 

His laugh finally stops. " I jump lefty. so I don't care."


He's just so so so HAPPY that he's ticked me off.



Someday I will get my revenge!




2 comments:

  1. Any corner is a lutz corner if you try :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. As another lefty, I kinda understand his response XD Because the usual rink etiquette is "beginners and slow skaters use the circles that clockwise lutzes go into" which is... well, the reason that rule exists is so the other 90% of lutz jumpers aren't bothered by them, right? I guess lefty jumpers are used to dodging people, because every other jump also goes counter to the flow of traffic, but that doesn't mean we should just get stuck with more dangerous lutz takeoffs.

    ReplyDelete