Friday, October 19, 2018

Non-surgical therapy for my figure skating bunion--progress!!

A couple of weeks ago, the horrendous pain I was experiencing in my big toe when I walked or skated made me think I was going to have to have surgery to reduce the bone spur in my joint.

I hate to say this, but I have never had anyone ever tell me that they had a good outcome from surgery of the big toe.  I'm sure that podiatrists and orthopedic surgeons have had positive outcomes, but all I've heard is reports of regret.  I actually found a reference that  said  if a skater needed surgery on the toe to put it off as long as possible. Also, that the surgery reduces the power in the push, and can have adverse effect on toe jumps (like I'm going to do those).

I then decided to search for non-surgical treatment. The Cortisone shot didn't work.  And while selecting a stiff soled shoe did work, it didn't really meet my needs . And rest, Advil, and  padding around the foot and between the toe wasn't enough.

I then started going through YouTube and looking for foot treatments to see if I could find something that would build up my foot strength or  maybe find some  padding to protect the bunion or taping to adjust the alignment of the toe with the toe joint.

And what I found was an exercise video from two Canadian (?)  physical therapists for non-surgical exercises for hallux rigidus (stiff toe).

It works!!! The pain is gone!  I do the entry level exercises three times a day, and not only did the pain disappear after a few days, I'm also seeing increased mobility in the toe. Mind you I only have a 'mild case' of toe stiffness, but it's like I have a new toe. I'm looking forward to progressing to the advance exercise using a theraband in a week or so.

Will this 'cure' my big toe? I doubt it. I've got a bone spur on the joint like a walnut, so eventually  I may need to have surgery, but I'm trying to put it off for a couple of years.

Here is the video! It worked for me! 

I'm also modifying my boot, that goes without saying. I've done that before! But just operating on the boot, not on the foot!




                             

1 comment:

  1. Wow!! I'm going to have to try that! I've had bunion issues for years and I have no desire to have the surgery. Thanks so much for this!

    ReplyDelete