So, earlier the adult skating party came up in the post on Birthday Parties at the Rink. This resulted in some discussion in the comments, and I've had time to think about it. Today I'm going to lay out what I think a perfect skating party would be like.
1. Saturday. Right before public. I have my reasons.
2. Lots of male figure skaters. So shoot me, I like watching men figure skate. Towards me, away from me, jumping, ice dancing. Whatever. I have a friend, the Big Guy, 6'3", 280 lbs. Beautiful edges. Skating backwards into a jump entrance, he's the sexiest thing alive. So must have guys at party.
3. Complete control of the music box by party members. No manager in some office somewhere running it like a public.
4. Ice resurfaced immediately before party time.
5. Large sign on the gate: "Private Party. No Kids Allowed." The gate will be closed. Hockey boys entering the ice will be picked up by male figure skaters and unceremoniously dropped back on the matting and the gate slammed in their face.
6. Guest Coach. This is tricky, as many of my skating friends are coaches already. So, figuring out how to hold a fun group class when some of the partiers are coaches, well, the only thing I can think of is make it a dance coach and let the other coaches be partners to the uninitiated.
7. Guess Coach must be happy and cheerful.
|So, happy coach|
|NOT, grumpy coach|
8. Brunch after skating
|Not this kind of drunken revelry|
|More like, sophisticated revelry|
And why do I want the party to be right before public? Because I want all the public skaters to see adults skating, having classy food, and sophisticated fun! They will ENVY us!
|"Mary, I think we need to take skating lessons|
so we can have fun like that!"