Sunday, March 11, 2012

Off Ice Training

I have a personal trainer. I tried aerobics and weight group classes for a long time, but, hey, I'm an exercise slacker. Having the eye of a mahogany haired trainer-goddess on me, keeps me on the straight and narrow. We've been working together for a few years.

She varies my routines and designs programs for me I would never have a chance to do in a group class. For example, lifting weights while doing knee bends on a bosu ball. Making me lift weights I'd never lift myself. I was happy with 10 lb dumbbells, she's got me up to 15 lb dumbbells. It took nearly a year to get me to that weight but I'm now looking at a future with 20 lb dumbbells.

Lots of ab work, and planks (I can even do the planks with side dips now), balance work on the bosu, and to shake it up sometimes work with the resistance band. I love it all.

Am I limited? Yes. At 60 years old the knees aren't what they used to be so lunges are limited. And after a wrist injury (off ice) I'll probably never do push ups again. But a good personal trainer works around those limitations and mine finds exercises  that exercises all my muscles despite my limitations.

Is off-ice weight training worth it? Absolutely.  If you aren't disciplined,  getting a personal trainer, even for a once a week session might be enough to keep you in focus and give you new exercises.  YMCA's and Jazzercise studios sometimes have personal trainers available (In Jazzercise it's call Personal Touch). If you want to try it, a few sessions might not be too expensive, and unlike a fancy gym, you probably won't incure a long term contract

As you get older lifting weights is worth it. Here's a picture of my hero. A 91 year old weight lifter, not Photoshopped.

Charles Eugster http://www.charleseugster.net/

 If he can do it at 90+. I can do it at 60.

So can you.

2 comments:

  1. Use it or lose it! My favorite off-ice training program is Pilates. Like skating, it demands meticulous alignment and absolute engagement of the core. It also corrects any muscular imbalances that are so easily developed with skating. Besides ballet, there is nothing like it to develop and strengthen the muscles of the feet and ankles. It is also hideously expensive if you work on the machines as opposed to doing mat classes, and that is enough motivation for me to drag myself to class. But I love the results! That being said, anything you can do off-ice to help on-ice is a good thing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've done some 'Pilates style' work. I really like work with stretch bands. My favorite workout DVD with bands is "Travel Fit"although there's a knee rehabilitation video that has the best stretch routine I've ever seen on it too. Maybe I'll do an exercise DVD's I love post.

      Delete