Monday, February 2, 2015

The Adult Gold Skaters Support Group

My rink has 5 women Gold Skaters. One is even a double Gold Skater in Moves and Freestyle. We even have one woman who is working her way through Gold Dance. And there's a male Gold Skater (he's a mystery, I've never seen him).

I don't know about your rink, but at my rink the Gold Skaters are a wonderful support group for me.

One (the Double Gold Skater) came up to me out of the blue and said my second push crossovers were getting better and my mohawks too! And this from a woman who works on her crossovers every day.

Miss Cheerleader took me shopping one day to buy new skating clothes. I wore too much black. Now it's orange and lime green, and pink, and royal blue!

Or our Gold Level ice dancer who sang the words to Hernando's Hideaway with me to convince Dance Coach it was a great tune for the Tango.

Or our former Club President who always was appreciative when I would show up to help with tests and comps.

Even though I'm probably the worst adult on freestyle, they always help me out with suggestions or even a pat on the back, or sympathy.

 
 

6 comments:

  1. Always good to have buddies. Even better to have buddies who really get it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. One thing I love about the adult skating community is that most of us (I know there are exceptions) are very supportive. We're all in this together, since we all share the same love for this crazy sport. And yay that the Gold skaters are supportive of you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am so encouraged to read this. After 16 years away from the ice I re-discovered my old passion. It is my goal to try out for an adult sync team and I am fearful that I am too old and will be laughed off the ice as I practice "the basics" at open skate. Thank you for posting this. I am taking a big breath and stepping on to the ice tonight!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wish you the best of luck, and hope you find the kind of wonderful friends I've found.

      Delete
  4. YAY for support!!!! And some musical theatre tossed in for good measure! (Bonus if you know what show Hernando's Hideaway comes from....) Really wish there was more support at my rink, but most of the adults can be a little snotty... But good for YOU!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, I know the answer to this one! Pajama Game. Starring the handsome John Raitt. I'm old enough to have seen the movie when it came out. He had a wonderful life. His bio in Wikipedia is worth a read.

      Delete