Sunday, February 2, 2014

Bloggable Moment: Mohawks BOTH! Sides

I've been working on my mohawk, especially the 'bad' side, off-ice this week. To bring you up to speed, I completely lost my right mohawk.  Couldn't even bring my free foot to my skating foot. I won't bore you with the 'how' since it's peculiar to my arthritic, bursitisitic, shingle-ized right hip.  Let's just say that hip looks really spectacular on X-rays, MRIs, and CAT scans.

To make a long story short, it involved do a lot of 'fifth position' work when talking to my bosses to stretch out my hip. Yes, you have to work your hips to get to here:


Because of the Polar Vortex Express, I haven't skated in a week. I get on the ice and warm up. Three turn here and there, good side mohawk...take a breath...bad side mohawk.

It's sort of like a tiny little hop from one foot to the other. I practice it using the Five Minute Rule, then Miss Bianca is ready for my lesson. 

I show her my good side mohawk. It flows like a river.

Miss Bianca smiles. "That very, very good. Really excellent." She says.

Then I show her my 'bad side' mohawk. It actually works! I have a tiny bit of flow! "It's a beginner mohawk," I say. "But it's a start."

"Oh no," Miss Bianca says, "It's actually a couple of levels above beginner."
Yes! Two levels above beginner!
"Ooh, " I tell Miss Bianca. "Bloggable moment!"

3 comments:

  1. Yes! Yes! YES!!! Congratulations

    When I managed Mohawks (at last) the whole rink heard me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Congratulations !

      It took me a long time to figure out I actually had a physical issue, and how to address it. I won't say I've mastered them yet

      Delete
  2. Congratulations!!!

    And I understand that polar vortex thing. One skating day last week. So sick of the snow...

    ReplyDelete