Saturday, January 27, 2024

Fun with rink Learn to Skate schedules

 I'm getting back to writing again, so this starts the blog again. Finally I have enough stuff to be funny AGAIN!, 

For some reason the rink decided to to have a Basic Adult class- and graduate the adults once they learn to "stop" into Basic Intermediate. Those of us who are in Basic Intermediate, Adult 4 and above level (I'm back at Adult5/6 again) get to futz around in Basic Intermediate with Basic warm up skills. The coach is very nice about it, it's not her fault. Anyway the score in this class is two adults at 4/5/6, and ten adults who can stop. 


There's then practice Ice for 30 minutes.


Then I and the other adult 4/5/6 skater, join the Basic Skills 4 Kids class where the score is now: 5 adults , and 8,000,001 little kids. Okay, 10-12 kids. Little short kids. all looking up to me scaring the shit out me . They're fast, beneath my eyeline, and have the attention span of puppies and there's now 17 people in hockey circle. This is all the fear I feel in my life-some little kid is going to slam into me and I'm going to crush him. The terror.


And I can tell you  who that kid is: a fearless 8 year old boy who takes magnificent falls and gets up, and moves forward without looking for other people. Did I say he was fearless. Great hockey player someday. Right now, he's a missile with my name in his sights.

Fortunately, he's wearing a bright color and when he's headed my way, I can dodge.

His mother's in the class too, and I tell her I'm terrified of little kids, she has 2 kids on the ice and just laughs at me. Bless her.

The coach is a sweetheart. I'm still the strongest adult skater, and my edges and body position are a glory to behold, so  I guess they'll let me come back next week.

Remember the unmentioned coach of Adult Beginner? No? The one who kicks the adults into Adult Intermediate once they can stop? On the last day of class, I feel mean enough to join his class and just do alternating t-stops just to show him what a REAL STOP is!


No comments:

Post a Comment