Sunday, August 31, 2014

Lake Placid Adult Skate Camp 2014 Review

I know some of you are waiting for the 2014 Adult Skate Camp review, but I've hesitated putting it out because I didn't have a very good time this year.

Okay, here's the good stuff.
1. Ice was nice. Probably the best I've seen there.
2. I took a lesson with Paul Wiley because I thought I was this > < close to getting my edge pulls. I wasn't. He was very sweet. In desperation, trying to end the lesson on a high note, he said my left mohawk was 'very good'.
"Woohoo! LEFT mohawk!"
3. I took some group lessons with Natalia Dubova. More later.
4. I learned tomohawks and iroquois, two new pieces of footwork. Post later on these.
5. Rave reviews of coaching by Melisssa Gregory and Denis Petukhov. I saw some ice dance teams of the silver/gold level improve measurably every day after lessons with them. One dance team told me "They tell you different stuff, but it doesn't conflict, it complements."
6.  Schedule changes were posted prominently on the dressing room doors. I still think they should send us emails, but meh, at least it's posted.

Clocks

Remember, last year there was no clock in the 1980 rink? There is one now. One of those freebie Coca Cola clocks that belongs on the back wall of a sports bar. It's mounted high on the wall of the 1980 rink that seats several thousand. It's almost impossible to read. You'll still need a slap watch.

Now, the bad stuff.

First off, I caught a bug and just wanted to stay in bed. Also, my right boot gave me some trouble, so I never skated more than 90 minutes a day. Between the two of these I didn't skate a couple of days.

I'm sorry I have to mention the 'bug' but that's important to the review. There were times I really, really, really needed to go to the can while resting in the Figure Skating Ladies Dressing Room. For most, if not all, of the  week, one of the two toilets was blocked and the room stank of a backed up cesspool--I grew up on a farm, I know what those smell like.
I sent a complaint, and other skaters reported it, but  facilities maintenance never fixed it.

So, coaches, great. Ice, great. Go have a good time. Just don't expect any support from the rink staff or management.





No comments:

Post a Comment