Saturday, June 8, 2013

Famous Skater Stories

Miss Bianca told me today, that she was once on freestyle with Viktor Petrenko. It was an insane freestyle. She said it had thirty-five skaters on the ice.

Then she, Viktor and another skater nearly crashed into each other.  She said, Viktor avoided the crash, shrugged and laughed it off.
The Man Has Class
(And Bedroom Eyes)

A couple of years ago, I was taking a dance lesson at Lake Placid when my coach nearly ran us into the Protopopovs. We both stopped with a foot to spare.

"Nice, move," I said as we skated away, "You nearly killed the Protopopovs."

I've written about Famous Former Olympian Now a Coach here before. When I'm on ice he glares at me. Well, maybe that's just his natural expression and he glares at everyone. Whatever. Anyway, I sometimes say "Hello dear" in my little old lady voice, then stay well, well, very well out of the way of his students.

So today, I was waiting for the ice to open, and he walks past me. It was like this:

That's me on the left.
Ten seconds later, as he stepped on the ice, he caught a toepick and nearly went down. The coach skating next to him had to grab his arm to keep him up.

Yes, I did feel all Schadenfreude.

4 comments:

  1. Okay, I will now get no work done today because I'm going to keep coming back to look at that photo of Viktor Petrenko.

    And there's drool on my keyboard.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Karma. Don't you just love it? Hee hee hee...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Haha... I don't take it personally anymore. Other people say they're perpetually grumpy.

    ReplyDelete
  4. When I was younger, it was quite common to fill the max of skaters for freestyle. 25. 25 skaters on the ice all doing their thing. And it was perfectly normal. Nowadays, if there are 10 on the ice, I'm like, omg, it's SO CROWDED. Because normally, there's 3-4.

    ReplyDelete