Monday, May 21, 2012

Rink Tips

Sometimes I come across a tip that's so amazingly simple that I gasp at how foolish I was to miss it in the first place. And yet, the simple tip solves some annoying off-ice issue that bugs me.

Problem:
Soakers go missing.
I get off the ice, pull my shoes out of the bag and can't find the soakers. I open the end pockets of the bag and find one, then find the other one on the floor across the boot area. Meanwhile I've got one boot on and one boot off, so I have to limp across the rubber and get my feet wet.

Tip
Put the soakers in your shoes before you put them in the bag.
I know. I mean, amazingly simple! Problem solved!
(I got this one off skatingforums.com)

Problem:
My gloves, rags, stockings, arm warmers, and wrist guards not only float around the bag, they go to visit the soakers on the other side of the rink. And sometimes stuff disappears.

Tip
I bought one of those zip-up mesh lingerie bags used to wash bras. I can stuff everything in there, and not only does it dry out in there, a couple of times a month when I get home I just toss it into the washer and wash everything in the cool cycle along with my clothes.

Problem:
Gloves don't match.

Tip:
Well, you can always buy gloves of all the same color, but I don't even bother. I solved this one by not worrying about it. If I'm down to one glove I just go get another glove of any color out of the glove box at home. If I find a glove floating around the house, I toss it into the glove box. Yes, nothing says figure skater like the fact you have a 'glove box'.

Problem:
You have to take your gloves off to use your phone.

Tip:
You can buy expensive special gloves, or even conductive thread, but an alternative is to buy the cheapest special gloves possible*. I've used theses and they work as well as the expensive gloves. You can sometimes find them in the 5 And Below stores in the winter. And if you've established a reputation as a glove rebel, it won't matter if one glove doesn't match. You just keep one at home as a backup.

Got a tip? Please share the wealth!

* If you look carefully, you'll see you can get these for $4.50 from 'other sellers'.

3 comments:

  1. I use a dollar store chamois cloth as a blade-drying rag: it's small and dries quickly. And I keep it in the mesh outer pocket of my bag, so it never gets lost below all the other gear, and it gets plenty of air to dry out fast so it doesn't get smelly.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I gave up caring about matching gloves a long time ago. Another useful tip is that when the fingertips start getting holes, just cut off all the fingers. (like this: http://bit.ly/KjXME4 ) Still keeps your hands warm/are good for falling, but you don't have to take them off to relace!

    An alternative to buying 'special' gloves is to just lick your finger a little bit, it provides traction for iPods and I assume phones, too.

    ReplyDelete