Saturday, January 4, 2020

Avoiding Foot Surgery to Skate

You may remember the problems I've had over the last year with my bunion and bone spur in my right foot. Last year, I had to have my foot padded up like the picture below, and I was worried I was going to have to have foot surgery.

This is what my foot looked like last year

So I had physical therapy, a cortisone injection (worthless), and I wore the podiatrist recommended "ugly shoes with rocker soles" everywhere! Yes. there are actual shoes with slightly curved soles called 'rocker soles', that take the stress off your bunions and bone spurs in your great toe.

These are ugly, 
but they feel gooooooood
This is not me.
 The ugly shoes took the stress off my feet, and over a period of months, the inflammation in my foot reduced a remarkable amount.
Ta-Da!
The only padding I now need 
 
And now, are you ready for my secret boot super-fitting technique?

 
I skip the lace holes over the bunion/spur

I know you may think it leaves a loose fit, but surprisingly, it doesn't. Maybe I couldn't jump in this, but since this is my pick-in foot, I don't think I'd be jumping with this toe problem anyway.

So there you are.  By being patient, and flexible with my approach to my boot fit problem, I've managed to avoid surgery and give my foot time to heal.

AND I'VE WORN THE UGLIEST SHOES ON EARTH FOR MONTHS!
BUT THEY WORKED!!

1 comment: