Sunday, September 29, 2019

Cheap stuff for skating from the Dollar Store/Tree

In the US we have some shops that sell stuff for a dollar. If you are in the UK, this may be loosely equivalent to Poundland. If you're in Canada, France, or Germany there may be the equivalent.

Since I've had a lot of foot and boot problems, I've gone through a lot of boot adjustments, and  padding for my feet. Here's the stuff I use.


The Absolute Best Thing to Keep in Your Bag:
Paper Tape
Paper Tape is thin enough not to disturb the fit of your boot.   It's is good enough to hold padding to your foot, or toe spacers in place, or other uses where maybe you want to keep something from slipping from your foot or leg. Then when you're done skating it will peel off.
I avoid the cloth athletic tape like the plague, especially around the forefoot. The cloth tape is too heavy and  thick. Stick with the paper tape.

Light Compressible Foam :
Designed as adjustable toe spacers, but 
you can do so much more 

These foam tubes can be cut to length as toe spacers, or protection of a hurt toe. The foam compresses nicely. HOWEVER, I usually cut them LENGTHWISE!. This gives me a little square of foam I can cut to size or shape, the stick it on my skin with Paper Tape. For example I've used it to:
1. Pad the top of my foot to keep my boot from rubbing on a sore spot.
2. As a lace bite pad when other other pads are too thick
3.  A protective cover where a boot top rubs a spot raw. Not as thick as a gel ankle tube, so you tie the laces  tighter.
4. Under an insole to give extra padding under a sore toe, or pad under a sore spot under my foot. These compress nicely, but you'll have to replace them after every few skates. They're not long lasting.
5. I've also folded a small piece into a toe spacer and taped between two toes.

 Medium Compressible Foam Insoles:
Thicker and more resilient 
than  the light foam Toe Bandages

These foam insoles can be cut to fit your boots as insoles. I used them for years like this because I could cut holes in them so a toe or bone could fit, or I could add padding under a toe or heel.
I now just cut them up to make small toe spacers between my Great Toe and first toe.They are the perfect width and I just tape the spacer to one toe. When the session is done I just throw them away.
Right now I've got a piece of one of these insoles as a lace bite pad on one foot. The other foot has a different product as a lace bite pad, because that leg needs something stiffer. Feet are different, they don't always match.

Glue Dots
These are in the craft section. Sometimes when I want to place a toe pad under an insole, I use the glue dots  to hold it in position so it doesn't move when I insert the insole over it, and the under pad doesn't slide out of place.

And there you are! Cheap stuff for fitting your boots!

No comments:

Post a Comment