Saturday, April 14, 2018

When Group Coaches Try to Fix Me

You know, I've spent a long time getting over  a technique, or learning some skill, then a group coach will come along and.....thinks....


One coach tried to get me to do an outside mohawk--at speed--into a back cross with a twizzle to a forward cross into an outside mowhawk--wash, spin, repeat.

Outside Mohawk 
 
Now, I used to do outside mohawks when I first started skating. But more than one coach told me "Oh, don't do those, those are dangerous. You may step on the tail of your blade." So I switched FOR YEARS to inside mohawks.  Now, this new coach says, "Oh, do this exercise with an outside mohawk."

I spent years not doing outside mohawks, so now, out of nowhere, they pop up again?


Oh, yeah. And at the same time, I'm also supposed to hold my arms still--no flag waving arm for me!


Don't get me started about the group coach who wanted me changing my free leg position in my one foot spin: knee bent, pointed outward, with the foot crossing the leg. That's THREE THINGS!!



3 comments:

  1. Those outside mohawks are on the Silver MIF. As for the footwork you mentioned... my head is spinning. I'll have to come back later.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I could do them as closed mohawks, with two foot twizzles. I'm proud I could do that!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can neither jump nor spin, but by heck, I can out-closed-Mohawk my coach! (Intl competitor.) Dometimes I suggest we work on them just for the smug moment...

    ReplyDelete