Friday, May 29, 2015

Adult Skater Responsibilities #1

Sometimes when I'm at the rink a coach in lesson will skate near me with their little student and call me by name, as in "Hi Babbette!"
"You talkin' to me?!"
 Now, as far as I'm concerned when a coach is in lesson, I should be invisible. The coach's eyes should be focused like two diamond tipped drill bits on their little student.  They do not want to talk to me about my skating. They shouldn't even notice me.
Coach drill bit eyes
As near as I can figure out, the coach calls my name because they want to pause the lesson for a second and they know I'll do my adult skater job.


I skate over and I start complimenting the hell out of the student, and sometimes the coach.

 To a girl,I'll say

"Oh, what a beautiful dress/hat/barette/jacket/new skates/you're so pretty....."

or to a boy,

"Oh, you have such good posture/balance/power/edges/swing roll/three turn/smooth jump landing...."


Or to a kid who is very young,

"Coach X is such a wonderful coach, I know you'll have a great time learning to skate."

Then with a smile, I gracefully skate away.

Damn, I'm good.



1 comment:

  1. I know this is an older post, but I'm just curious as to why you tend to specifically compliment girls on their clothing/appearance and boys on their skills.

    ReplyDelete